UH-Hilo College of Pharmacy earns accreditation | News
After five years of intensive reviews, the College of Pharmacy (CoP) at the University of Hawai`i at Hilo has been granted full accreditation by the national agency that regulates pharmacy schools.
At a June 24, 2011 meeting, the Board of Directors of the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) voted to award the college full accreditation for a period of two years.
Continuation will be determined at a future ACPE Board meeting, following a site visit to assess the ongoing progress of the program.
According to John Pezzuto, who was appointed dean of the college in 2006, receiving full accreditation at this time was a close call.
“We are able to provide a first rate education for our students, but we will not be able to realize our dream of being a top-ranked college of pharmacy until permanent facilities are completed,” he said. “I believe ACPE took a leap of faith in extending full accreditation as a result of strong commitments for our future development. So our work is not nearly done. They will be continuously checking on our progress.”
The college now becomes the first school of pharmacy in the State of Hawai`i and the Pacific region to become fully accredited by ACPE.
“Faculty and staff at the College of Pharmacy have worked extremely hard to get to this point,” said UH Hilo Chancellor Donald Straney. “But we all know we can’t stop now. We’re doing everything we can to help improve their chances of becoming one of the top 25 schools of pharmacy in the nation.”
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Prudential Locations Recognizes Top Agent Award Winners for June 2014
- CBP Promotes Richelle Abiang to Marketing Manager and Charity Shaffer to Digital Marketing Manager
- Oahu's Luxury Home Sales Climb 33 Percent During First Six Months of 2014
- Celebrate the tattoos you love and clear the ones you regret at InkOff.MD on National Tattoo Day