Hilo man dies in one-car crash | News
HILO, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow)- A 40-year-old Hilo man died Tuesday from injuries he sustained in a one-vehicle crash on Kinoole Street 180 feet north of the Kinoole Street/Puainako Street intersection.
The driver was identified as Tracy S. Pack, of a Hilo address.
Responding to a 1:49 a.m. call, South Hilo patrol officers determined that the driver was operating a 2006 Mercedes Benz four-door sedan and traveling south on Kinoole Street when he failed to negotiate a curve in the road, stuck a chain-link fence and then struck a building.
The driver was not wearing a seat belt.
He was pronounced dead at 4:28 a.m. at Hilo Medical Center.
Police believe that speed and alcohol contributed to the crash.
Traffic Enforcement Unit officers have initiated a coroner's inquest case and have ordered an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Hawaii teen heads to California, battles rare disease
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- WAIKIKI AQUARIUM’S DISTINGUISHED LECTURE SERIES TO SHINE SPOTLIGHT ON THE CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGE OF
- CBP Raises More Than $44,000 for Aloha United Way's 2014 Pacesetter Campaign
- Hale Kipa receives a $100,000 grant from the Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation for "Paws for a Cause"
- Chris Deuchar Returns to Hale Kipa’s Board of Directors
- Graham Builders Promotes James Jonah to Project Manager