Truck falls into massive sinkhole on Big Island | News
HILO, BIG ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow)- A giant sinkhole swallowed a vehicle on the Big Island early Monday following a night of severe weather.
Civil Defense crews remain at the scene near Paauilo and have blocked off Pohakea Mauka Road. The road goes over a culvert and shifted following heavy rain, eventually giving way sometime around 8 a.m., authorities say.
"When I made the turn the road just sucked me right in and I just fell in and I tried to climb out through the window because it fell on its side," said Velma Deluz, the driver of the truck. Deluz says she has some rib injuries, but is thankful to be alive.
Crews are now working to repair the road, which is the main access point for the nearby community.
Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaiian Springs Water Expands into Albertsons Markets in California and the Southwest
- Alleged Kapahulu bank robber arrested
- Third Annual “BikeUHM” in tandem with UH Manoa Earth Day Festival
- Skyline Eco-Adventures Hosts Oldest-Ever Zipline Participant
- Manoa Library Celebrates Earth Day with Free Events in April