19th Annual Hawaii Arts, Crafts & Food Festival | Events
The following information is provided by: Merrie Monarch Festival:
The Merrie Monarch Festival, dedicated to the memory of King David Kalakaua, is a week long cultural festival held annually in Hilo. King Kalakaua came to the throne of the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1874 and reigned until his death in 1891. He was a patron of the arts, music and dance.
The Merrie Monarch Festival includes art exhibits, crafts fairs, demonstrations, performances and a parade emphasizing the cultures of Hawaii.
Crafts Fairs are an integral part of the Merrie Monarch experience. An island tradition, for the past 19 years, is the "Hawaii Arts, Crafts & Food Festival", a major annual event sponsored by Hawaii Arts & Crafts during Merrie Monarch Week. The Hawaii Arts, Crafts & Food Festival celebrates the artistic and cultural heritage of Hawaii's people and its environment.
This year's celebration will be held on April 12, 13 & 14, 2012 (Thursday, Friday & Saturday) from 9 am to 5 pm at Sangha Hall, located on Kilauea Avenue, next to Starbucks Coffee in Hilo on the Merrie Monarch parade route.
This year's festival will showcase over 100 of Hawaii's Finest Artisans and Food products. Cutting edge constume and clothing designers throughout the State will be at the event. ( Manutea Nui E from Maui; Double Paw Wear/East Honolulu Clothing Company , Tropical Creations from Oahu; Kilohana Clothing Company, Kauai Kraze from Kauai; Moku Nui, Hawaiian Force, Ha, Punawai, Homesteady from the Big Island and more.)
Woodworkers showcasing designs made out of Koa, Mango, Milo. Designers of Hula Instruments, Pahu Drums, Hawaiian implements will be present.
Jewelers specializing in Tahitian Pearls, handmade jemstone jewelry, as well as many one of a kind handmade jewelry from every medium imaginable.
There will be many fantastic food products made in Hawaii. Hourly prizes, demonstrations and performances will again be held during this festival, truly making it an unforgettable cultural experience.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Mall’s Marsha Nadalin Salon + Spa celebrates 20th Anniversary
- See "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" at Hawaii Kai Library on March 18
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- Volta Industries Launches New Office Location in San Francisco
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer